Wickedness and Grace


 Wickedness and Grace

As a novelist I look at politics differently than most people who write about it. Commentators talk about elections, policies, messaging, the endless theater of public life. I am less interested in that surface movement. What interests me is the human character that moves beneath it.

Over time I have come to believe that the most honest political vocabulary available to a novelist consists of two old words that modern politics has almost abandoned.

Wickedness and grace.

These are not fashionable words anymore. They sound moral, even archaic. Yet they describe political life more clearly than most of the language we now use. When I look at societies, institutions, and the long sweep of history, I see these two forces constantly at work.

Wickedness is rarely dramatic. It does not appear with horns or announce itself as evil. In modern life it is quiet and procedural. It lives in offices and boardrooms. It moves through bureaucracies and committees. It hides inside incentives and routines.

People follow instructions. They sign documents. They move money, weapons, and decisions through orderly channels.

Each individual act appears reasonable. Each person performs a small part of a much larger machine. Yet the sum of those acts produces consequences that no single person claims.

That is the genius of wickedness. It disguises itself as necessity.

When wrongdoing becomes routine, people stop recognizing it as wrongdoing. They call it efficiency, or policy, or strategy. Language softens the reality and slowly the moral imagination grows dull.

As a novelist I cannot fix that system. Fiction is not legislation. A novel cannot dismantle institutions or rewrite the structures of power. What a novel can do is observe the environment carefully and reveal how certain systems make cruelty feel ordinary.

That observation alone is political.

I have spent much of my life watching the world move through one political drama after another. When I was born, Harry S. Truman was president. I came of age in the long shadow of the Second World War and the Cold War that followed it. When I was a young man I fought in Vietnam while Richard Nixon sat in the White House, a man who in my view embodied the most corrosive form of political wickedness of his generation. I lived through the presidency of Jimmy Carter, whose decency felt almost out of step with the brutality of politics, and I witnessed the rare grace and intelligence that Barack Obama brought to public life. Both men, in different ways, attempted to govern with a measure of human grace. The wicked forces of politics worked relentlessly against them, and often they prevailed. That long struggle between decency and power leads us to the present moment, where wickedness has once again become brazen enough to speak in the open.

The people caught in these systems are almost always the same people. The working man who labors his entire life inside a structure he did not design. The woman navigating institutions that were never built with her in mind. The Black citizen whose life unfolds inside a long inheritance of discrimination. The immigrant whose labor is welcomed but whose presence is often resented.

These people live closest to the machinery of history.

When the system turns harsh, they feel it first.

I support them not because I imagine them to be morally perfect. Human beings are never pure. The poor can be cruel. The oppressed can participate in cruelty just as easily as anyone else. What matters is something simpler.

They live closest to the consequences of power.

The powerful debate policies. The poor fight wars.

The powerful invest capital. The worker absorbs the collapse when the markets fail.

The powerful design laws. The vulnerable discover what those laws mean when rent is due or when a son does not return from a battlefield.

If a novelist wants to understand a society honestly, he must watch these lives carefully. They reveal the moral structure of the system surrounding them.

This was one of the impulses behind my novel Swipe. On the surface it appears to be a crime story, but my real interest was never the crime itself. I was interested in the environment that produces crime.

Ruby Parker stands at the center of that environment.

The system has already decided who Ruby is. She has a file. She has a rap sheet. She has been placed neatly inside the category of criminal. Yet Ruby understands the structure surrounding her with far more clarity than the people judging her.

At one point she says something that cuts through the polite language of the courtroom and exposes the deeper truth of her situation.

“You wanna talk charges? Let’s talk truth. You tax my hustle but not my soul. You cuff my body but not my mind. You call it law; I call it survival. You see a rap sheet. I see receipts.”

She pauses before continuing, as if she knows the room is not accustomed to hearing the truth spoken aloud.

“You stand up there like this is justice. But justice don’t live here. Not in this room. Justice don’t ride in their cars when they roll up on me for walking while breathing. Justice don’t wait in the cold with me when I got nothing, but my body left to trade. You wanna call me criminal? Fine. But call this city guilty too. Call the poverty guilty. Call the hunger guilty. Call the nights I had to make choices nobody should have to make. Call your officers guilty when they want what they condemn. Call this whole damn structure what it is.”

Her voice never wavers.

“I sell what this world been taking since before I could say no. I sell it ’cause the rent don’t wait and the fridge don’t fill itself. I sell it ’cause the same men pointing fingers got their zippers halfway down when nobody’s watching. So don’t act brand-new. Don’t act holy. You wanna throw me in a box, fine. But you’re boxing the truth with me.”

Ruby is not making a philosophical argument. She is simply describing the structure in which she lives. The law calls her criminal. Ruby calls the system itself into question.

That is where wickedness becomes visible.

The wickedness is not simply the act. It is the environment that produces the act while pretending to be morally neutral.

Yet even inside systems like this another force appears from time to time.

Grace.

When I speak of grace I am not speaking in religious terms. I mean something simpler and more human. Grace is the moment when a person recognizes the dignity of another human being and acts accordingly.

Grace appears quietly.

A brother protects a younger brother who is frightened.

A man carries a wounded companion through a forest.

A woman feeds someone who has nothing though she herself has very little.

A storyteller preserves the memory of the dead, so they do not vanish completely.

These gestures do not overturn systems. They do not dismantle the machinery of power. But they interrupt the logic of cruelty. They remind us that human beings still possess the ability to choose dignity over indifference.

Grace rarely wins in a dramatic sense. It simply persists.

Over the years I have also come to believe that no human mind is entirely its own creation. Each of us carries fragments of the past. The stories of parents and grandparents. The wars they fought. The migrations they endured. The humiliations and triumphs that shaped them before we were born.

A human mind becomes a meeting place for many voices.

Some of those voices carry bitterness, anger, and resentment. Others carry patience, humor, and kindness. The person we become is often the result of the conversation between these inherited influences.

In that sense wickedness and grace are not only political forces. They live inside the human mind itself.

When I look at politics now I often think of it as weather. Sometimes the moral climate grows harsh. Systems reward selfishness and cruelty. Over time people adapt to those conditions until behavior that once seemed unacceptable begins to feel normal.

At other times individuals resist that drift. They behave with decency even when the environment encourages something colder.

These acts of grace rarely dominate history books, but they preserve something essential in the culture.

Without them society becomes efficient perhaps, even wealthy, but spiritually empty.

As a novelist my responsibility is modest. I cannot change the system with a story. I cannot legislate reform or dismantle institutions.

What I can do is observe the world carefully and write it honestly.

If I succeed, readers may begin to see where wickedness has become routine and where grace still survives, sometimes in the most unexpected corners of human life.

And sometimes that recognition is the beginning of conscience.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Crossing: Transitions in Salon Writing

The Novel as Poor Theater

The Intimacy Of Mind