Why Swipe Exists


Why Swipe Exists

A Literary Manifesto and the Story of Why I Was the One to Write It

By Scott Dodgson

There are novels a writer chooses, and there are novels that choose the writer.

Swipe belongs to the latter category. It came to me the way certain truths arrive slowly, insistently, like a tide that rises so gradually that you suddenly find yourself standing in water you never meant to touch.

I have never been a child of the MFA world. I came up through the school of bruises, the school of hunger, the school of mistakes made at full speed. I learned plot from the street, dialogue from corners and kitchens, pacing from survival. And the older I became, the more the MFA commandments show don’t tell, cut the digressions, clean the sentiment, accelerate the narrative felt not like craft, but like erasure.

Salon writing saved me.


It taught me that a novel can think aloud. That consciousness is plot. That digressions are the tributaries through which truth flows. That knowing why something happens is as important sometimes more so than what happens. That sentences have breath and music and memory. That life itself is not propulsive; it meanders, contradicts itself, doubles back, breaks open.

In the Salon style, the novel becomes a mind, not a machine. Swipe had to be written in that spirit.

Ruby Parker was not built for genre. She was built for consciousness.

And here is the simple truth at the core of this book: I was the person who had to write it.

Not because I wanted to. But because my life, my failures, my scars, my loves, and my own crooked history shaped me into the one person who could sit still long enough to hear Ruby speak.

I have been a criminal. Not mythically. Practically. Not in fiction. In fact. I know the logic of desperation. I know the shape of shame, the private calculus of hunger, the justifications that germinate in the dark and bloom into choices that cannot be undone. I know the slow erosion of self that comes from hustles stacked on hustles.

I have lived at the dangerous edge where law, survival, longing, and betrayal overlap.


Ruby emerged from that frontier.

More than this: I have been shaped by Black women all my life. Loved by them. Witness to them. Lost to them. I have watched their brilliance sharpen itself against the world’s indifference. I have watched the double burden gender and skin press down with a silent, endless weight that would have broken lesser souls. I have seen how survival becomes an art form, a strategy, a philosophy, a flame. Ruby Parker carries that flame. And I did not invent her. I met her.

Tunisian coast, 1998. A quayside. An ordinary afternoon. A woman alone, asking if I would take her sailing. We ate tuna we caught ourselves. We drank wine under a pale sky. She lived in a villa too large for her solitude. She spoke softly, directly, with the authority of someone who had earned every scar. I remembered her name from the newspapers—the scams, the prisons, the vanished promises.

Before I left she told me: “If I don’t write my story in ten years, you write it.”

She disappeared into the world. I remained. And the promise remained with me. But I did not want to write her as a documentary. I wanted to write the truth beneath the truth the consciousness, the philosophy, the interior weather of a woman whose life had oscillated between brilliance and ruin, between survival and the wish not to survive at all.

That is why I was the person to write this novel.

Because I knew the underworld of choices she walked through.

Because I have seen Black women navigate a world built to misread them.

Because she trusted me with her silence.

Because crime, to me, is not spectacle but biography.

Because philosophy is not abstraction but oxygen.

Because my own life taught me the cost of reinvention.

Because I understood that redemption is a false promise and clarity is the real one.

If you want formula, Swipe will frustrate you.

If you want a detective chasing clues in tidy arcs, you will hate this book.

If you want a heroine polished for consumption, turn elsewhere. But if you want to watch consciousness evolve; if you want to see survival dissected from the inside; if you want a novel that speaks in the cadence of lived life; if you want to witness the slow, painful construction of a self then this is your book.

Ruby Parker is not a symbol. She is not a stereotype. She is not a fantasy of crime or redemption.

She is a woman who, like so many, learned that sometimes the prison you walk into is kinder than the one you carry inside.

Swipe is the story of how she finally set that burden down.

And I was the writer who could honor that journey because, in my own way, I had walked it too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Crossing: Transitions in Salon Writing

The Novel as Poor Theater

The Intimacy Of Mind