The Poetic Pulse of a Novel


 The Poetic Pulse of a Novel

I have been thinking a lot about how a novel breathes. Not just how it moves from one chapter to the next, but the actual breath of it. The way a line can tighten like a knot in the chest or open suddenly like a sail in a rising wind.

When I was writing L’Auteur, set in the smoky after-hours cafés and salons of postwar Paris, I learned to trust the pause. A conversation about cinema could wander into grief, then drift into politics, and return to the same cup of coffee without feeling the need to “advance the plot.” The atmosphere was as important as the events. The glances, the silences, the slight change in light at the window — these were the real markers of change.

The Bohemian Angels taught me another lesson. In that book, Joseph Kuharski moves through revolutionary Europe, carrying the weight of betrayal and survival. The pace is sometimes urgent, with the press of history right at his back, but at other times the story rests in a hotel lobby in Lviv or pauses over a remembered letter. These moments are not detours; they are the shape of the life itself.

Now in The Madness of Beauty’s Light I am blending what I learned from those earlier novels with the long pull of my own life story. War, love, espionage, solitude, and the sea all move in and out of the book. The rhythm is not even because a lived life is not even. Sometimes the scenes are dense with the Beast and the Man, sometimes they recede into the background. The sea may vanish for a hundred pages, but the absence leaves its own imprint.

This is the work of writing a novel with a poet’s sensibility. I am not talking about scattering pretty lines like decorations on a cake. I mean building the whole structure so that imagery, rhythm, and association carry as much weight as the storyline. In this way a constellation over a small French village can speak as loudly as a firefight in Cambodia, and a conversation with an old poet can hold the same dramatic charge as an escape across a border.

Poets have always understood this. They know a single image can hold a philosophy, and a shift in rhythm can change the emotional key of the work. In prose, that means trusting the book to breathe at its own pace. It also means resisting the tidy balance that some editors expect, because tidy balance does not often happen in life.

There is a risk, of course. The middle of a book may slow while the reader lingers with a character, and the impatient critic may call it uneven. But in the Salon tradition, that is texture, not a flaw. It is the long dinner where the conversation strays into strange and beautiful territory, and no one looks at the clock.

I would rather write a book that keeps its pulse than one that ticks like a metronome. I would rather keep the smell of a certain kitchen at midnight, the memory of a voice in a Paris doorway, the shadow of a chessboard in a Lviv café. These are not plot points. They are the truth of the story.

So yes, I am crossbreeding the novel with the sensibility of a poet. L’Auteur, The Bohemian Angels, and The Madness of Beauty’s Light all draw from that same ground. The rhythm rises and falls, the pace shifts without warning, but the current is constant. It is the current of a lived life finding its shape on the page.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Crossing: Transitions in Salon Writing

The Novel as Poor Theater

The Intimacy Of Mind