Associative Dialogue


Associative Dialogue

The Art of Talking Our Way Toward Meaning

Conversation was my first classroom. Before I trusted books, those obstinate blocks of letters that shifted on the page and resisted my eye, I trusted voices. A teacher’s question, a friend’s teasing, my parents’ evening arguments—each left traces more vivid than anything written in chalk. Words spoken had rhythm, inflection, pauses. They carried intention and accident alike.

Later, in the salons I discovered on the page—Rambouillet, Scudéry, Geoffrin—conversation rose to the level of art. Dialogue was not exchange alone but revelation. An idea did not arrive whole; it emerged, shaped by contradiction, detour, echo, response. A thought proved its strength not in solitude but across the friction of multiple minds.

This is what I mean by associative dialogue. It is not debate, which seeks a winner. It is not interview, which seeks an answer. It is the kind of talk that begins with one image—a glass of wine left half-full on a table—and before long has drifted to empire, betrayal, the history of the grape, the nature of time itself. The links may be tenuous, yet they are real, because human thought itself is associative.

The MFA workshop tends to clip this impulse. Characters must speak with purpose. Dialogue is trimmed to carry plot, reveal character, deliver conflict. Anything meandering is marked with a red pen. But life is not so concise. Lovers circle the thing they mean to confess. Friends tell stories that wander like rivers before arriving at a shared laughter. Even silence has its phrases, weighted with implication.

I have a voice honed after years of writing dialogue for movies. More than forty scripts were optioned, largely because the dialogue wanders, prods, slips the plot forward almost by accident, and lets character rise in its own time. In film, as in fiction, truth often appears in the detour, the contradiction, the words never meant to be spoken.

Louis Malle once told me, “The true dialogue is under the surface of the words. That is where the heart of the matter resides.” I carried that lesson with me, into every page I have written since. It echoes most vividly in My Dinner with André, a film whose entire body is conversation, yet whose soul is the subterranean current of what is left unsaid. At one moment André exclaims, “I just don’t think it’s possible to really look at someone and know them… without stumbling into yourself.” Wally replies, half in jest, half in recognition, “Yes, but if I looked too closely, I might never look away.” The subject is friendship. Beneath it flickers mortality, isolation, the hunger for meaning.

That film revealed to me what I have always believed: dialogue is not a function of story. It is story.

I tried to capture this in L’Auteur. Claude, Marta, Jean-Paul, Daniella—they do not speak in sharp, utilitarian lines. They drift. In one café scene Marta recalls her grandmother’s lavender garden. Claude interrupts: “Yes, but scent is only memory clinging to the air. In cinema we are trapped by the image, not the fragrance.” Jean-Paul leans in: “And censorship is the same. They cannot ban the perfume of an idea once it has been breathed.” The talk wanders from lavender to cinema to politics. By the end, each character stands more revealed than if they had spoken their truths directly.

Some of the greatest literature lives on such talk. Plato’s Symposium, where love is approached through myth, anecdote, philosophy, parody, until the dialogue itself becomes a mosaic of ways of knowing. Diderot’s Rameau’s Nephew, a wild argument that refuses containment. In our time, Sebald, whose remembered conversations bloom into history, loss, uncanny recognition.

What makes this kind of dialogue compelling is not what is said, but what is uncovered in the act of saying. In L’Auteur, Daniella tells Claude, “You drink too much because the silence frightens you.” Claude laughs, changes the subject to Truffaut. Yet the truth lingers. The reader has overheard not a crafted revelation, but a truth stumbled into. That is the power of associative talk. It reveals more than either speaker intends.

To write this way is to trust the reader. You are not handing them neat exchanges that fit into the machinery of plot. You are inviting them to sit at the table, lean in, catch the rhythm of voices as they cross and clash. They become part of the salon, part of the act of thought itself.

Associative dialogue insists that meaning is not solitary but communal. We think best when we think together. Montaigne knew this when he wrote that it is good to rub and polish our brain against that of others. The salon was founded on this principle. A novel that carries it forward becomes itself a salon, a place where voices mingle, where tangents bloom, where truth arrives late, wearing the mask of accident.

This is why I write dialogue the way I do. Not as clockwork. Not as utility. But as drift, as tide, as talk. My years in cinema taught me that dialogue is not only servant of story but its generator, a force that can turn a roomful of people into a world. Louis Malle was right: the true dialogue is always under the surface of the words. That is where the heart of the matter resides, and where the reader, like the viewer, discovers themselves implicated. Each exchange is a sail catching an unexpected gust, carrying writer and reader alike into waters neither foresaw. In this shared voyage the novel finds its pulse, and I, at last, find my place in the conversation.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Crossing: Transitions in Salon Writing

The Novel as Poor Theater

The Intimacy Of Mind